Saturday 14 July 2012

13 Things a Goth Needs

Happy Friday the 13th to all of my followers and readers! 

I had the day off work and so spent this spooky day re-arranging my room, watching science fiction, drinking coffee and thinking up things to blog about. Expect a post on Bram Stoker and one on industrial dancing in the coming weeks :) What did you guys get up to today? 

Now The Everyday Goth had a post like this ages ago, here. I had it mentally bookmarked as a good one to do but for some reason never got around to it! I will list 13 things in honour of Friday the 13th because I'm easily amused like that :D Sorry if I repeat a lot of The Everday Goth's list but her list was awesome. Just sayin'. 

1) Pressed powder. If you're not bothered with foundation or don't have time then powder is a great way to even out your skin tone and take the 'just woken up' look off your face. Also invaluable at the club or on a hot day. I am currently using Maxfactor's Creme Puff pressed powder in Translucent. 

2) Old faithful black eyeliner. I may flirt with other brands but I will never abandon you Collection 2000 Extreme Felt Tip Liner. You mean too much to me.



3) Black boots that go with everything. My baby doc martens are perfect for this. I love my Demonias but  my docs will always have a special place in my heart.

4) Plain black well fitted basics and also some accessories. This is the basis for my wardrobe. A black skirt with a black frilly blouse, a flower in my hair and a spiked necklace is my go-to look. Combine with massive amounts of black eye make-up and some patterned tights and you have a simple, affordable but spookified type look.

5) Goes without saying but I'll say it anyway. A basic knowledge of the subculture. Amongst the obvious reasons its a cool history full of lovely styles and sounds. 

6) A copy of Jillian Venters Gothic Charm School. Even if its just to look at the cute illustrations!




7) Both an uber-gothified outfit and a more wearable outfit suitable for visiting family and job-interviews.

8) A sense of humour and the ability to laugh at oneself. Like when my Demonia boots keep getting caught in chairs and I end up dragging half the furniture around with me. Because that's pretty funny.

9) A copy of The Castle of Otranto, Frankenstein and Dracula. Because gothic fiction is just so damned good.




10) A chill out/mope-out song and a lift your spirits song.  My mope out song would be either One Hundred Years by The Cure or Marian by The Sisters of Mercy. My lift your spirits song would be This is Not Salvation by Say Just Words or Just Like Heaven by The Cure. In general I listen to a lot of Industrial to lift my spirits also. Too many bands to mention here.




11) A statement piece. Whether it be 4 inch Demonias, a corset, an elaborate piece of jewellery or a customized piece of clothing, something to instantly uber-gothify a standard outfit is invaluable in ones gothy wardrobe.




12) Some kind of basic dance style. Just for when your at the club and want to dance but aren't sure how to. It can be anything from swirly hands or industrial dancing. Of a combination of both if you're me. I love to Industrial dance when I'm at home on my own, its great exercise and great fun! 

13) Sunscreen.


What are your gothy must haves?
Thanks for reading,
Miaow.
x

2 comments:

Elizabeth_Bethezda said...

Lovely post. They stopped selling Max Factor at a lot of places here and I miss my pan foundation. :(
Love your boots. :D

Cherish said...

As usual, perfect post!

My must haves are probably ones you already listed xD

But I think one I really like is a pair of patterned stockings, socks or tights. I just can't wear skirts without a pair or two on.