I had planned to do this post for a while now and luckily it is a nice precursor to Le Professeur Gothique's Monthly Homework Assignment which is all about skincare and make-up removal!
I am a firm believer that you do not need to spend a lot of money to look good. Over the years I have spent SO MUCH money on products when I didn't need to. My recent beauty routine (and my best one so far) is ridiculously cheap and hugely effective. Enjoy!
- I use olive oil to remove my make-up. I also use it as a moisturiser. It really helps tone down the redness around my nose and evens out my skin tone. Plus, it's epic at removing stubborn eye-liner in a pinch. It's very very good for all kinds of skin types, especially oily skin. I wish I knew about it during my acne ridden teenage years! If you run out of make-up remover in the future, give this a go!
- Instead of spending money on exfoliators, just mix up some sugar with your moisturiser. I mix mine with olive oil, obviously. Gently massage it into your face, allowing the sugar to take off dead skin cells. Rinse and pat dry. You're done! Sweet, eh? (Sorry...)
- Want to give your skin a lift but can't afford an expensive face mask/don't trust those ones they sell for 1euro? Use an egg instead! Break an egg, separate the yolk from the white and keep both. Beat the egg white until it bubbles and rub it onto your face. Allow it to dry and rinse it off. Next, do the same thing with the egg yolk. Egg white brightens and tightens the skin whilst the yolk is a great moisturiser. My skin feels AMAZING after I do this treatment!
- Instead of spending lots of money on nail hardening products, use Vaseline instead. A small amount rubbed on each nail a few times a day makes a big difference. Seriously, my nails are noticeably stronger after just one day!
- Expensive hair conditioning masks aren't always the best. I have spent a lot of money on deep conditioners. My favorite? Boots Intensive Conditioner with Cocunut and Almond. Its about 2euro people. I have spent ten times that much on lesser products. The best way to discover a cheap but effective product is to google 'cheap x,y,z products and go from there. Stalk beauty and hair forums!
- Run out of perfume and can't afford another one right now? Try out some body sprays. They're cheap, smell delish and they last for ages!
- If you bought a lipstick which is a nice shade but too glossy for your liking don't buy a mattifier just yet. Instead dab a small amount of translucent powder over your lips. This does change the colour slightly but not much.
- Similarly a tint dab of concealer on the eye-lids and lips makes a great primer for your make-up. Blend it in really well though to avoid any clumpiness. Primers can be expensive, especially if you're on a budget.
- An effective treatment for dark circles is to squeeze some juice from a cucumber slice and dab it lightly into the area twice a day. I really like this treatment but always forget to get cucumbers when I'm out!
|My basic skincare products! Sorry it's blurry.|
I hope this was useful to someone out there! Do any of you guys have any beauty tips to share that I haven't mentioned here? Don't be afraid to let me know! Also, don't be afraid to disagree with me on any of these points! I would love to know your thoughts on this!
Until next time!